Saturday, July 14

Farm-scene art for telephone books

Taranaki Saturday, 14 July 2007

The telephone book artwork.

A weekend drive to the mountain inspired the winning entry in this year's White Pages Art Award.
New Plymouth artist Henriette Reason's painting will grace the cover of the 2007 Taranaki telephone book, due out in August. Her work is called Heard Of Cows?
"While driving I saw herds of cows. I stopped my car to have a look and the curious cows came to say hello. I had fun feeding the friendly ones, while others stood back and watched," says Danish-born Reason.
To create the artwork she made some rough sketches from photos taken of the cows, then used oil paints on canvas board.
"I wanted to convey feelings of curiosity and excitement. Taranaki is a clean, green place and the mountain portrays boldness."
She was overwhelmed about winning the award.
"I phoned my mother in Denmark to tell her the good news and I admit, I couldn't sleep that night."
Reason is a self-taught artist who only started painting in recent years.
"I've always had an interest in art, but only started painting seven years ago. I gave up my fulltime job last year to devote all of my time to my art."
She entered the awards hoping it might boost her career and, having won, hopes it will be a stepping stone towards being a successful artist.
The judges were impressed with her painting and said it had an added dimension of mischief, which went beyond depicting a herd of cows in a typical Taranaki landscape.
Reason has lived in Taranaki for 10 years and says dairy farming and the mountain are constant sources of inspiration for her art.
"Dairy farming is the heart and soul of the Taranaki region and the mountain has stood through times of change.
"I wanted my painting to reflect traditional Taranaki with an openness and courage to move ahead."
The White Pages Art Awards programme is a nationwide regional arts competition, open to all New Zealanders.
The awards are designed to promote emerging and established artists throughout the country.
The 18 regional winners each receive a cash prize of $2000. At the close of the awards programme, all entered artworks are eligible for the annual White Pages Arts Charity Auction. All money from the sale of artworks is donated to charity.
A total of $50,417 was raised for What's Up at the 2006 White Pages Arts Charity Auction.

No comments: