Tuesday, July 31

Funnyman has fond memories

JESSICA WAUCHOP - Taranaki Tuesday, 31 July 2007
When Oscar Kightley was a cadet reporter at the Taranaki Herald he pulled a sickie on the day of the most exciting story of the year - Cyclone Bola.
"I looked out my window that morning, saw it was raining and called in sick," laughs Kightley.
"Everyone else was racing about covering exciting stories about roofs blowing off and I missed out," Kightley says.
It's just one of many tales from the funnyman, who's just been back in New Plymouth with the Naked Samoans for the Taranaki International Festival of the Arts.
Kightley, best-known for his roles in the TV show bro'Town and movie Sione's Wedding, is thankful for his six-month stint as a journalist in Taranaki.
"I had been working as a cadet reporter at the Auckland Star and got up to a bit of trouble. So they were very kind and instead of firing me, they packed me off to New Plymouth.
"I came here and loved it. This place was my first experience of living outside of the city I grew up in. I found it a very warm and enveloping place with culture, surf and nice people.
"By the end of my six months I didn't want to go back to Auckland."
Nineteen years after he left, Kightley is impressed with the changes in Taranaki.
"It is great to see more than one bar in New Plymouth now.
"You can stagger from bar to bar instead of up and down The Mill's stairs," says Kightley, who admits he is still struck by the overwhelming politeness of Taranaki people.
Although Kightley is grateful for his time as a journalist, he says he was never destined for it.
"At school English was my favourite subject because it wasn't like science and maths which had strict rules - English you could make things up."
"In science four and four had to equal eight but in English I could make it equal 12 - not ideal for journalism though," he laughs.
It is this creativity which is embodied in the Naked Samoans performance.
"Our performances are never the same each night. We get bored easily, so if we're not having fun with the jokes, we change them," he says.
"Being on stage in the Naked Samoans existing in the most pure form ... a group who started out as mates just looking for an excuse to hang out together."
Jessica Wauchop is an AUT journalism student.

No comments: