Thursday, January 26

A century-plus of garden experience

Manaia's David and Michael Self have about 110 years of gardening experience between them – and no desire to head inside just yet.

David Self, Michael's father, started gardening in England in 1938, before he had even started school.

When his parents died it became a way for him and his siblings to survive.

"After my parents died, wherever we went my brother and I had a garden," he says. "When I was 14 I was allowed three-quarters of an acre of land (300 sqm) to keep bantams."

He also bred mice and small game for sale as well as growing and selling produce.

After emigrating to New Zealand he studied at Lincoln University before farming until he could raise enough money for a piece of dirt to call his own.

"I earned enough money to buy this five acres (2ha) and moved here in 1959," he says.

His three children all learnt to garden alongside him, helping to grow and sell plants on a regular basis.

Michael took to it like a duck to water.

"He started out in the garden as soon as he could move," David Self says.

"He would fill little pots for me and later on he always helped as the other two [children] did."

It's been a special saviour for David Self, even as his years of hard selling may have come to an end.

A health scare in England last year while visiting family spurred him to get back into the garden after a time of less activity.

"I sat down one day and ordered some seeds and it's been my saviour."

He stills sells at the Hawera Town Square markets on a Saturday and this year, Michael frequently joins him.

"I've been in and out of the nursery over the years but this year I decided to get back into it,"the younger Mr Self says.

Michael is the feature of several Lotto advertisements – notably one featuring him as tramp who is given a winning Lotto ticket by a grateful dog – and hosts a gardening show on Sky TV.

They recently celebrated their 110th combined year in gardening.

- © Fairfax NZ News PETRA FINER- SOUTH TARANAKI STAR
Last updated 10:39 26/01/2012

PETRA FINER
Self-starters: David and Michael Self still love gardening.
South Taranaki Star

No comments: