Thursday, February 23

Anniversary tribute ready to download

A tribute to a South Taranaki legend has debuted on the radio.

Aroha Arawau, a former Hawera resident and three-time Ronald Hugh Morrieson literary award winner, wrote a fictional account of the removal of the well-known writer's home to make way for a fast-food restaurant and was not sure what to do with it.

National Radio felt like the perfect home for the tale.

"Obviously it was a deliberate homage to Hawera, to Ronald Hugh Morrieson," said Mr Awarau, Auckland-based Woman's Day magazine news editor.

"That's where my writing career started.

"I was 14 when I won it and at that young age, winning something, it sort of gives you a purpose."

Writing the story for an anniversary of the Ronald Hugh Morrieson awards several years ago, Mr Awarau said the tale of Burt Bell's battle to save a pivotal scene in his coming-of-age battles was easy to write.

"It just came; the motivation was when I was invited to write something," he said.

"Once I had a reason to write it, it just fell into place. I lived through that period so I knew the factual aspect of it."

The story aired on National Radio on February 6, Waitangi Day and can be heard online using the link radionz.co.nz/national/drama/shortstories/burtbellscrusade
PETRA FINER - SOUTH TARANAKI STAR
Last updated 10:35 23/02/2012

No comments: