Monday, September 25

Hawera Part 2

my greatgrandparents and parents had the white hart years ago they were snow and laura kerr and the macdonalds... does anyone know eric glentworth he worked at kiwi (hubby's uncle) and pauline and gavin (pauline used to work at paper plus) My hubby grandad used to look after king edward park (len glentworth) and his grandmother Nina mumby just passed away this year.. (boo hoo) she was an awesome lady

Ronald Hugh Morrieson Yep spent far to many years there myself. My wife's mother has a full collection of Ronalds personally delivered & signed books.

I was born there and lived there for 7 yrs, but have family there and do go and visit. My father worked at HHS - Mr Lockhart.

twigsman - I had Willie Lockhart as a teacher between 1966-1970 - a great guy. Mrs Lockart was a teacher as well wasn't she. Their photos are on HHS oldfriends website - I think

i worked at Vic Grubi's restaurant and the Hawera Star in the mid 60s. Who remembers Bennett and Sutton, Bon Ton and their round cream doughnuts - with a dollop of jam in the middle!!

The bon Ton lol i worked there about 4 years ago, i was there for 3 years,

its been there for ever.i try to call in when I'm there. There was also butcharts the bakery, Anderson's Pie shop,

Butcharts has closed down now. I like the london pie shop...YUMMY!!! But thats gone now too.

what happened Butcharts - out done by Yarrows? do you know the coffee bar in Union St, Chatternook? We used to have a greengrocer shop there in 1963-1964

bon ton had yummy donuts thats when the guy Hopkins owned it, he worked at New World of late, not sure if he is still there or whether he will be the baker at Pak n Save when it opens on November

My Niece now owns Bon Ton and Andersons Pie shop is still here.. Few doors from the Police Station

The PIE CART no one has mentioned it ...used to be open on the way to Sunday school!! Rev Alan Pyatt was an absolute terror of a minister - kicked you out of church for talking so I guess the pie cart got the collection money!! My uncle was Bishop Rich and came up from Wellington to do confirmation.

george newport had the pie cart. which church did you go to? we had James battersby at the St Johns Presbutton... remember the old church

I liked Alan Pyatt Wanted him to marry us He had officiated at my 4 old sisters weddings. However he was leaving and we were the first the Rev Rushworth Married. 1958

Mr and Mrs Watson had the pie cart back in my day Lovely couple..Greasy George had it after them I think .

what church did you get married in? was it St Mary's or St Josephs? Mr Boyer was the anglican one in the 60s - used to have guides there before we fundraised for a new hall - Church parades were there as well

St Mary's Anglican. Mum & Dad are buried in the south east corner of the cemetry.

The owner of Butcharts had his leg amputated and had to sell up. He now works in New world.

seedy My mum and dad are buried down there too Cemetary is getting pretty full..Dont think there will be room for us,, Oh well I just wont die then..

do you come down the end of High Street to the cemetery? As you come in the gate, its the Presbuttons in the first block. right next to the old rubbish dump - are your parents anywhere near the shed around there -

I was married from St Mary,s Church too many, many, many, years ago.

End of High Street into cemetery turn ?first into Path/"road" to green shed and it is about 3 rows down from shed on left and 3/4 way along."John and Frances

Its odd... the oder I get the more I feel that I have to make the cemetary a must do on my visits home. I visit all those who have already past and pa my respects to those who I havent acknowledged the passing of yet. It is a neat cemetary though... as far as places like that are rated that is. Does anyone know how the new Resthome planned for Barrett Road in NP is coming along?

One set of grandparents are on the right just past that shed. Hopkins.

I lived on Union street from 1979-2001

what number Union street (Onion St!) we lived by the railway end - number 86. Seedy - i've been married 31 years. And your parents must be near where mine are - we're in the first block, about 3 rows past the 2nd tap. Hugh Morrison is about 2 rows further down - near the hedge.

well my mums family had a lot of kids in them, my grandparents lived on Wilson St and later Waihi Road....My parents still live in town, as do most of my family. I have rellies that I dont even know in NP!... My dads name is Judd.

doesn't seem that long though, does it? I'm away for a couple of days so will look forward to reading and catching up when I get back. Lots of lovely memories. How many others have climbed Mt Egmont? I did in 1964 - that and my first triathlon at 59 are two highlights in my life !!!

no 82 was 2 doors down from us - there is was a granery next door. we didn't have a house either side - had the railway hotel behind us. six o'clock closing - still remember all the men and their noise

page 3

1 comment:

lady jan said...

Good interesting reading Helen..Lots of memories here.Peoples different ideas coming though..I,d forgotten some of those places existed