Sunday, September 24

Whos Is from hawera

HELLO who is from HAWERA?? just wana see.

bet you don't miss the wind - thats all I remember about Hawera - was that annoying wind!

born & bred ..21 yrs there..up in the winterless north now ..and I may not miss the weather but I do miss the view of Mt Egmont from my bedroom window..ok ok Mt Taranaki..(will never get used to calling it that..lol)

awwh succulentlady...The piccy of the water tower 'takes me back' big time..we used to break inot it ..I mean push the door firmlyish ..and climb it when it was closed down years ago..put my hand on a bloody pigeon once..(it was on the hand rail) nearly cr%$^d myself...ran home and didn't venture up there for ages afterwards!..lol

I left Hawera in 83..HHS in 79? its all sooooooooo long ago lol) went to the HHS reunion about 11 yrs ago. that was a hoot..wanted to stick my degree up Mr G bs for telling my mother she was wasting her money paying for me to sit UE..as I wasn't going to ever achieve anything!..the pratt ...mmmm then again back then he was probably 'on the button' so to speak!..

Well I was there 1951 and 1952 So I,m ancient Nice to see lots of locals here..Not much else to do on a night like this eh.Intermediate wasnt even there when I went to school Straight from primary to high school . Big move in those daysI didnt know anyone there. 600 pupils back then.

both of hubby's family from hawera does anyone know dianne stratton or nina mumby or brendon and tania stratton or the glentworths ie gwen etc?

Yes it was called Hawera Technical High School back in my days. Black gym frock white blouse long black stockings in the winter and white socks in the summer..We also wore the school tie and beret with the School badge on it.Also a blazer

succulentslady your profile photo pulls at the heartstrings !! I was Hawera Main until Ramanui opened - foundation pupil. I also had the dubious honour of being Hawera Women's Swimming Champion in 1964 - in the old swimming pool at the back of the old picture theatre. Both parents and grandmother buried in cemetry and we always call in when up north. Great in this day and age to be able to call in late at night and know exactly where to find them! Mr Finer (ex Mayor)used to own the Auction Mart and the "Hawera Star" put an advert in saying Finer's Fart - all papers were recalled from delivery!!! Great place to grow up in.

Ronald Hugh Morrieson lived just up the road in South Road - taught my brother the guitar. Sold one of his paperbacks for $22 recently

wow nostalgia full on here! I remember those memorial pools! they were on High st opp the water tower weren't they?..I must have been under 5 when we went there..you had to walk thru a foot bath before getting in the pool..and what about those huge swings at King Edward park?..bet OSH have done away with those now tho. We used to ride our home made carts on the road down High st over the railway line into Naumai park..amongst 'other things' at Naumi park -bit older then tho lmao

the ducks were there at naumai park - we used to walk from Union Street to the cemetery every sunday, from 1964 to 1971 - used to have goldfish as well. We used to have first aid at the redcross building just by the railway line. Its still there

Loved Finer's Mart - mum sold her ducks there. Rember the Queen's visit well - we made paper flowers and covered the War Memorial

that's funny - we got our ducks from Finers they used to run around the back yard!!
Dr Rich also had ducks - They used to get my Dad to kill them. sometimes we got duck eggs - strong taste

The big swings are still in King Edward Park Strangly enough they seem to have shrunk a bit since we were kids .Remember getting hit on the head with one of them at a school picnic..Remember this lady puttung butter on the lump. Lots of new things to play on now. The round about has gone..Often take grandkids there. Dr Young was our Dr way back then None of you youngsters would remember him..After him was Dr macInroe..Dentist was MR Bright. followed by Mr Bryce then Mr Bliss..Used to sit in the dentist chair looking out on the water tower When they gave you gas, the water tower used to sway..And yes the old pool..Remember the toilets way behind the Library..Had a hole in the tin wall and you could look out into the swimming pool. And the old opera house Loved sitting upstairs watching a movie..And the girls with their trays of ice creams and lollies coming round at half time . At the start of a movie you had to stand for God Save The King or later queen There was always a cartoon (Tom and Jerry) or the likes.Then the shorts of the movies coming. Anyone know when they stopped playing God Save The Queen..

hawera Man that brings back memories lol, Used to work for Arthur Brown construction, and worked on the kiwi dairy powder tower , live in the old milk treatment station on surry st , lots of partys up there and the hot rod club was below us . I believe that there is a couple of town house,s built on that site now.Knew the nagerts ( micheal) and the sowerbys, mark and michelle Oconnel. Had a bad reputation the old treatment station wonder why lol( 5 guys in one flat and numorious party

my boss is from Hawera and I'm from Patea(we both live in Marlborough), my mum and dad went to school at Hawera tech, dad (apparantly still holds the record for triple jump),my dads family owned farms around the hawera,manaia,opunake areas,I'm related to the Rowlands family in those parts, my bosses last name is Spragg

Remember the Spraggs - a few years ahead of me. Had a business if I remember. Speedy - are you Cristabel? I knew your Mum and Dad very well. We have a photo of Dad, Ken , and your Mum (Francis?)and I think my brother - taken at your home, naybe 1960.

Yes that's me!! -Mum shifted to Auckland after Dad died in 1972 and shifted here to Blenheim in 1989 and died 1991. Peter is still in New Plymouth (just become a grandfather) he married Jocelyn B - Princes St and Mike is in Sydney.

My family bought fruit from your parents, right? If I remember one special thing about my childhood it is that we ALWAYS had heaps of fresh fruit in the house and Mum always bottled fruit by the case load. I still bottle today so her lessons stayed with me. We are all healthy (touch wood) so it was a great start to our healthy lives.

We bought the Opunake/Hawera bus run off Egmont Tourist Motors, ran it for several years, our depots were Niven Diesel in Hawera (opposite the Railway Station) Butlers' Bookshop in Manaia, and Newton Kings in Opunake. Newmans bought us out....put on a 40 seater bus and went down the tubes inside 12 months. I noted in todays Daily News it's 35 years since that run started. All gone now, but we made a good living, and made many friends, most of whom we are still in contact with. Used to go to the White Hart Hotel every day for their counter lunch, braised sausages, liver & bacon....yum.

seedy - yes your parents would have gone to the shop i High Street - Mum and Dad ran it feom 1948 to 1957. My Grandfather must have had it before Dad married. Do you remeber the shop - a few doors down from the ANZ - near haberfield Howdens. Upstairs was the carlton tea Rooms

Yes I remember their shop well and your surname has always astayed as a Hawera memory. Also remember butchers shop with big wooden chopping block and saw dust on the floor. Wards with it's cannister money system whizzing above our heads and I knew all the chemists delivering prescriptions for Dad. When Mum was buried we all stayed at "Stonehaven" again in the same room we slept in as kids - was a B&B then.

was the butcher Mr Newman - in Union Street There was also Mr Stevenson who had a butcher - Can't recall his daughter's name . may have been Kathy... do you remember Mr Bach in the bag shop. used to walk down the street holding his notes behind his back. we used to sneak up behind him and pretend to pinch the money. CC Wards closed a wee while back. Mum used to sew so we spent some time there - watching those cannisters flying about. Did you ever go into McGruer Bone - 2 story place. Where are your Mum and Dad buried - Dad and Mum are in the old Presbyterian part

We had Jack Couch the butcher Think he was from Manutahi..He delivered round the district to the farmers.

page 2

No comments: