Saturday, September 6

Fallen locks show teens' priority

A group of Hawera High School students will feel the cold in the next few weeks as they get used to their new looks. Nine students agreed to have their heads shaved, and one decided to wax his legs, for donations from friends and family for the school's annual Shave-a-thon to raise funds for the cancer society. Year 12 student Ethan Arbuckle dedicated his falling locks to his granddad, who was diagnosed with cancer a year and a half ago. Arbuckle was "a bit more comfortable" shaving his hair for a second year running. While, Riana Robinson's effort last year inspired Nikita Barry to get in behind the event this year. However, when the clippers were going through her hair, she wasn't too sure what she had committed herself too. "I was thinking what have a put myself into. I'm going to have no hair for a while," she said. Crowd favourite, Stewart Melrose was too in love with his hair, so decided to wax his legs. "I waxed my legs instead because I figured it would be a laugh and deep down I couldn't part with my hair." Although the 17-year-old wasn't laughing as the wax strips came off. He was in tears of pain, leaving him thinking, "what am I doing with my life." "I honestly have full respect to anyone who waxes their legs 'cause that stuff hurts," he said. Melrose said the pain he put himself through was worth every cent he made. "It's for a really good cause, and it was all worth it to raise money for cancer." Melrose raised $600 for the event with the help of friends, family and teachers who paid as much as $50 to pull a wax strip from his legs. It was his first time involved with the shave-a-thon, but he is considering doing it next year, when he may even part with his hair. Teacher-in-charge Anna Campbell said each year the event gets bigger and better. "I'm super impressed with how the whole school has got in behind everyone." We already have kids asking ‘can we sign up for next year'." The school set a fundraising target of $4000, which doubled with door sales of more than 350 students who filled the school hall to watch and other fundraising. - TaranakiOLIVIA WATT Last updated 09:57 04/09/2014

No comments: