Saturday, September 6

Maori Quartet brings past flooding back

On Thursday night I spent an evening with The Modern Maori Quartet. And by the time I left the TSB Showplace Theatre I felt I had stepped out for an evening with my grandfather, father, uncles and cousins. A nostalgic couple of hours being swept away by the melodies, harmonies, a degree of suaveness sprinkled with a healthy dose of humour that epitomised those gentlemen whose memories linger in my heart. I was expecting a revamped version of the Kontikis or Howard Morrison Quartet, and was pleasantly pleased to be transported back in time by classics that paid tribute to some of my childhood musical heroes. When I closed my eyes I was half expecting my father to be holding out his hand ready to sweep me into a slow waltz on the dance floor. Crooning is an art that many young musicians today have yet to fully value, but when it gets delivered with the panache of seasoned performers I'd suggest they should take notice. With a combination of 20 years' acting, song writing and musicianship, The Modern Maori Quartet have got that entertainment appeal that goes beyond just good singing. Described as fried bread with golden syrup, for that first-bite, yummy sensation, they definitely bring that good vibes factor into their performance. But it would be unfair to say this show is just based on past Maori Cabarets acts. Filtering through their programme were more modern, familiar tunes; Baby I've been watching you set the scene for original songs that have the potential to be iconic for a new generation; that lazy Sunday afternoon kind of feel that has your cousins reaching for their guitars. Hitting our screens tonight as part of the TVNZ variety show Happy Hour, The Modern Maori Quartet will be the show's resident act. No doubt their obvious entertainment value will increase, but I suspect the show will only give the viewers just a sample of their talent. And being at a Maori party might just become fashionable. But if you want a night out with your dad even if he is no longer around, get to one of their performances. You will hear him humming along with you. - Taranaki Daily News AMOKURA PANOHO Last updated 05:00 06/09/2014

No comments: